Becoming Khaleesi, Part 2

Getting close to our GoT party now.  In an earlier post, I told you about the Khaleesi costume I plan to create for the party.  The other night I cut and frayed the fabric for the “loincloth” panels of the “chaps.”  I’m super happy with how they turned out!

"Loincloth" panels

“Loincloth” panels

The other bit I did was the first attempt at distressing the light colored “leather” for the waistband.  I’m not really happy with how it turned out.  The color I put on it is way too red.  But I could always say it’s blood.  Her waistband does get covered in blood eventually!

Original leather for the waistband; dirty (bloody?) leather for the waistband

Original leather for the waistband; dirty (bloody?) leather for the waistband

Time to get down to the details of my costume components so I can begin final assembly!  First up was distressing the “leather” of my “chaps.”  I’ve been trying to get a good rough edge on this material since I bought it.  If I ever want something to look like distressed leather again, I’ll probably just shell out the money for actual distressed leather.  Initial attempts included slicing the fabric with an open scissor, sanding, and steel wool.  Finally, a friend who knows about this thing called Google, found a leatherworking forum  that was helpful.  Roll up the leather, cut the edge with a saw, then hammer it.  So, out came the tools.

The initial tools: hacksaw, tack hammer, and brick

The initial tools: hacksaw, tack hammer, and brick

The hacksaw alone gave a nice rough edge, but it still needed hammering to make it supple and really rough.  After the brick broke (ha!), I tried hammering against a brick hammer, but that was going to make me deaf.  So I ultimately realized a 15-pound dumbbell would make a good anvil.

The winning tools: 15 lb. dumbell and tack hammer

The winning tools: 15 lb. dumbell and tack hammer

Many swings of the tack hammer later, the edge looked pretty good.

The finished edge

The finished edge

Then it was down to darkening the white backing of the fabric.  It’s an upholstery fabric, so it only has one “leather” side.  Again, the moral of the story is use actual leather if you want to have something that looks like leather!

One more panel to go, then distress the edges of the waistband thingy, pin it all together, fuse the layers, sew a channel for the elastic, feed the elastic through, add the embellishments… Oy.  That’s only the bottom.  Wish me luck!

Advertisements

3 responses to this post.

  1. […] « Becoming Khaleesi, Part 2 […]

    Reply

  2. […] edition in the Becoming Khaleesi series.  If you haven’t already read Part 1, Part 2, or Part 3, let this be your official spoiler alert!  And before we go any further, it would […]

    Reply

  3. […] who have been following my earlier posts in the “Becoming Khaleesi” series (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4), you’ll recall that this was the big event my costume was for.  Finally […]

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: